Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chocolate Spice Cake

My cake and cookies were a hit yesterday at our July 4th celebration.

I called my neighbors behind me to tell them I had cookies for them and their company. I gave them cookies, and they gave me fresh picked corn.

Yep, I got the better end of the deal.

We had a great time at the fish fry. William and Tiffany's older children were there, as well as her mom, brother (and his family), and my neighbors that live in between Tiffany and me. The food and conversation were great.

Afterwards, Tiffany suggested that us girls take a garden tour at my house.

What??? My house? Oh no!!!

I felt like I had gotten caught with my pants down!!! I have a few weeds, some plants to be divided because they're too big, but it's too late now; they're coming over!!!


Tiffany's mom, Diana, is an avid gardener. She had suggestions as to what I need in my flower bed for those "in between times". I always appreciate suggestions. My tall lilies are no longer in bloom. I had just deadheaded the daisies (but more will come, soon), the sunflower hasn't bloomed yet (but he's super tall), and the black eyed susans are about to burst open. The zinnias are a little slow growing, and the cosmos will be blooming soon. She suggested tall Phlox and Hollyhocks. That's a great idea!!

They were impressed with my vegetable garden inside the picket fence. It is cute, if I do say so myself,


especially with a beautiful grand daughter standing by the gate. I was enjoying the praise, but I had to be honest and give Steve the credit he deserves. He plants, pulls weeds, picks the vegetables, and cooks them. I just water. It's an important job.

Afterwards, the kids did a fireworks display, and everyone went home. Steve and I still heard fireworks, so we jumped in the truck, went down a dirt road, and watched fireworks over the hills. I'm such a country girl at heart.

Here's my Chocolate Spice Cake recipe. My mom came up with it. She was always making up recipes. Normally I would write the recipe down for you on a Mary Englebreit recipe card, but I don't know how to do that in blogland.


Amanda's Chocolate Spice Cake


1 box of Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 box of Duncan Hines Spice Cake mix

Pour one half of the devil's food cake mix into a bowl. Into the bowl, pour one half of the spice cake mix. Save the rest of the cake mixes to bake another cake, later.

Mix according to the instructions on the back of the box for the eggs, water, and oil.

Pour batter into a greased and floured bundt cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Turn cake onto a pretty cake plate.

Cover the cake with the icing.

Icing:

1/2 Cup butter
6 Tbs. coke
2 Tbs cocoa
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 box of powdered sugar
1 tsp,. vanilla

In a medium sized bowl, pour in the powdered sugar.
In a medium saucepan combine the first three ingredients and stir until it starts to boil.
Pour over the powdered sugar and add nuts and vanilla. Stir.
Using a spoon, cover the cake with the frosting.

The frosting will sort of harden and be fudgy. Mmmm. It's good.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

18 comments:

  1. gee the icing sounds interesting, I am going to try the cake w/ the coco cola icing. Choc/spice---a great combo, sure to be a hit

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOHHHH I will have to try this recipe! Your gardens are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to what Valerie just said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a wonderful 4th. Your cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks sooo good. Your grand daughter is so cute standing there with the pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmmm - Mr. Squash has been dreaming of chocolate cake for days - I think I'll try your recipe, Amanda! Oh - your gardens are gorgeous!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would really like some of that cake right now........it looks really yummy! Thanks for stopping by and linking, -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the tasty recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh corn.. sweet corn.. that spicy cake looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amanda
    I've really enjoyed reading your posts - I'm about to turn 60 (yikes!) in a couple of weeks, and I was just wondering about that choc. spice cake recipe - can you double that recipe and make two cakes and freeze one? I got an early birthday gift (a new freezer) and I'm eager to fill it with yummies.
    thanks for the inspiration,
    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're a family of two who needs to wait until company comes to bake desserts. After anxiously waiting a week to make your cake, it was perfectly delicious- so sweet and rich. I made it in a 9x13 pan and poked holes in the top with a fork before pouring on the icing. Thank you for the quilting and eating inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the tasty recipe...
    I want to try this....

    --
    Michell
    You cannot go wrong on the best security systems

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was looking for such a feature.Hope to read more interesting articles.Thank you for this.great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks a lot for the fun article that you share. :) thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really interested in what you wrote here. I hope you give me more interesting topics to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is very interesting for me to read that article. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post. Thank you so much for this informative post. I will recommend it to all of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog are great. I have read your article and bookmarked it. Hope there will be more good interesting posts here!

    ReplyDelete

My busy little quilting friends said...




Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin