Sunday, April 27, 2014

Paper Piecing Chevrons

Happy Sunday!

I sort of got sidetracked with my Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice when I kept making the same last 20 (of 167).   Here is what a Chevron block looks like.  I pinned it to a wallhanging that is on the wall right in front of me as I sew so I wouldn't sew the yellows together instead of the whites.

 Although this one is perfect, not all of them were even though I measured twice, cut once, used a scant 1/4" seam, and pressed them.  They seemed a little "wonky", and I wasn't happy.  I probably could have squeezed and stretched them into my quilt, but I want my quilt to be straight in the end.

One of the Celtic Solstice Mystery Facebook group members posted a paper piecing method in the files  for making the Chevrons.  I printed out how many I needed, and avoided paper piecing.  To be honest, I love paper piecing and the look of perfect points.  However, it is something I have to wrap my head around many, many times before I get it right.  It is sewing backwards to me, and I'm backwards myself, so it takes me a while.  I also know that no one can be talking to me, no TV, and no music until I get it straight in my head.

I finally took the plunge this weekend and set aside time to re-teach myself how to paper piece after being inspired by Sarah at Sew What Sherlock.  Sarah is a new to me blogger that I met on Instagram.  She suggests the best tutorial/video about paper piecing is at Connecting Threads, and I agree.   You can see the video here (and, by the way,  their books are 40% off this week; free shipping if you spend $50 or more.)

This was one of my  first successes before I trimmed seams trimmed all the way around.  I did press as I went, but I also suggest trimming the seam allowances as you go.  I was too excited to stop and trim.

These were ones that the green fabric wasn't large enough, so I had to rip them out.  I definitely had to have patience for this. At first I thought about just starting over, but it would have taken more time to cut everything again.    Thanks to my favorite seam ripper from Clover.  I was able to rip the threads without ripping the paper.  

So, here they are!  All 165 (I did two of them wrong).  

This post is linked to:
Scrap Basket Sunday at Kim's Big Quilting Adventure
Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times 

If you read my post below you can see that I have had a hard time with blogger lately.  I lost my blog for a while, and now it's back, thank goodness.  During that time, though, some things have changed between blogger and google, and to be honest, I'm a bit confused.  I did read on some blogs (from bloggers who have wordpress) that they aren't able to post on blogspot blogs because of the settings they have as far as commenters.  I changed my settings to take anonymous commenters so that people can leave comments.  I thought about taking away the word verification, but to be honest, I am hoping it will help keep the spammers away.  We will see how "anynomous" works and go from there.

Do something quilty every day!  

Busy Little Quilter


  1. I am so glad you got your blog back! I had it linked on my favorites and all of a sudden it wasn't about quilts anymore, but horses and other things instead. Missed seeing pics of your quilts and family!

    1. Thank you, Pamela. I, too, was so confused, When I click on the link, it is still about horses and such, with a few of my blog posts. I'm so glad you came back to check to see if I was still here. Please add me to your favorites, again, as


My busy little quilting friends said...


Follow on Bloglovin