Sunday, April 27, 2014

Paper Piecing Chevrons

Happy Sunday!

I sort of got sidetracked with my Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice when I kept making the same last 20 (of 167).   Here is what a Chevron block looks like.  I pinned it to a wallhanging that is on the wall right in front of me as I sew so I wouldn't sew the yellows together instead of the whites.



 Although this one is perfect, not all of them were even though I measured twice, cut once, used a scant 1/4" seam, and pressed them.  They seemed a little "wonky", and I wasn't happy.  I probably could have squeezed and stretched them into my quilt, but I want my quilt to be straight in the end.

One of the Celtic Solstice Mystery Facebook group members posted a paper piecing method in the files  for making the Chevrons.  I printed out how many I needed, and avoided paper piecing.  To be honest, I love paper piecing and the look of perfect points.  However, it is something I have to wrap my head around many, many times before I get it right.  It is sewing backwards to me, and I'm backwards myself, so it takes me a while.  I also know that no one can be talking to me, no TV, and no music until I get it straight in my head.

I finally took the plunge this weekend and set aside time to re-teach myself how to paper piece after being inspired by Sarah at Sew What Sherlock.  Sarah is a new to me blogger that I met on Instagram.  She suggests the best tutorial/video about paper piecing is at Connecting Threads, and I agree.   You can see the video here (and, by the way,  their books are 40% off this week; free shipping if you spend $50 or more.)

This was one of my  first successes before I trimmed seams trimmed all the way around.  I did press as I went, but I also suggest trimming the seam allowances as you go.  I was too excited to stop and trim.





These were ones that the green fabric wasn't large enough, so I had to rip them out.  I definitely had to have patience for this. At first I thought about just starting over, but it would have taken more time to cut everything again.    Thanks to my favorite seam ripper from Clover.  I was able to rip the threads without ripping the paper.  





So, here they are!  All 165 (I did two of them wrong).  




This post is linked to:
Scrap Basket Sunday at Kim's Big Quilting Adventure
Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times 


If you read my post below you can see that I have had a hard time with blogger lately.  I lost my blog for a while, and now it's back, thank goodness.  During that time, though, some things have changed between blogger and google, and to be honest, I'm a bit confused.  I did read on some blogs (from bloggers who have wordpress) that they aren't able to post on blogspot blogs because of the settings they have as far as commenters.  I changed my settings to take anonymous commenters so that people can leave comments.  I thought about taking away the word verification, but to be honest, I am hoping it will help keep the spammers away.  We will see how "anynomous" works and go from there.

Do something quilty every day!  

Amanda
Busy Little Quilter


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got your blog back! I had it linked on my favorites and all of a sudden it wasn't about quilts anymore, but horses and other things instead. Missed seeing pics of your quilts and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. I, too, was so confused, When I click on the link, it is still about horses and such, with a few of my blog posts. I'm so glad you came back to check to see if I was still here. Please add me to your favorites, again, as http://busylittlequilter.blogspot.com.

      Delete

My busy little quilting friends said...




Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin