Sunday, April 22, 2007

Tips for Going to a Quilt Show or Quilt Shop

Going to a quilt show or a quilt shop can be an overwhelming experience, if you aren't too careful. I am going to share some tips with you so that the next time you go to a quilt shop or quilt show you won't have feelings of dizziness, car sickness (from your head spinning in all different directions), and having that "I've gotta get out of here" feeling.

I didn't realize that these sort of tips were necessary until my guild went to a quilting event where there were vendors everywhere. One of my new members looked frazzeled, and she was in a daze. I could tell she was having some major anxiety, so, having been in her shoes before, I tried to come to her rescue. She was so relieved.

My first tip to her was to take a deep breath and try to calm down. My second tip to her was that anytime she goes to a quilting event or a quilt show she needs to have a plan. In her plan she needs to look at quilting magazines or quilt books and find a project that she would like to make. Or think about the workshop quilt that our guild has every month.

Now, since she is new and doesn't know that much about color, value, etc. it is easier to go with something she knows. Most quilts look great made from 30's fabrics. Vendors and quilt shops always have 30's fabrics. I find with 30's, the more the merrier! She could go to each vendor and get some fat quarters.

Once she started doing that, she was fine. From there she started buying thread, books, and enjoying her day. I was so happy for her.

What are your plans when you go to a quilt show or a quilt shop?

1 comment:

  1. That is so great. I'm looking at the cherries and thinking "aren't those just the cutest cherries?" Had no clue!

    I actually made one exactly like this ten years ago as a give away for a new book. I think I made thirty!!! Ten years later I saw one walking by at a trade show and it made me giggle.

    Have fun at your show!

    ReplyDelete

My busy little quilting friends said...




Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin