Friday, February 15, 2008

You All Are So Sweet

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts, prayers, and kind comments about my surgery.

This is me and nurse Steve. This picture was part of a collage for our Christmas card picture. I guess I haven't shot any pictures of him lately. Hmmm. Steve can cook awesome food, clean, do laundry, is a hard worker, is a great dad, and he's awesome at wood working. He's also good at making me laugh, which has hurt a little more this week than it usually does! He's a great guy.

All went well during surgery (Thursday, February 7), and the Friday and Saturday afterward. I was able to go home on Friday since the doctor was able to do it lapriscropically. I was doing fine Friday and part of the day Saturday then things started to go downhill a little. First I was running a low grade fever. The doctor then prescribed me two antibiotics.

Sunday the fever got worse and I started getting sick. So, off to the emergency room where from 8:30 at night until 3:00 in the morning I find out that I am dehydrated and anemic. I then had to change antibiotics.

Monday afternoon at 1:00 I went to the doctor because she wanted to see me. I got sick in the waiting room and started crying because I was so embarrassed. It was bad enough going somewhere in public with no make-up on and looking as sick as I was without having to get sick in front of so many people.

The doctor was so upset. She said it wasn't supposed to be this way. I told her that I thought I would have a few days of recovery, but for the most part I would be enjoying Steve watching movies with me while he waits on me hand and foot! She said that's how she envisioned it, too!

In the meantime there's a big snowstorm/ice storm going on outside. Snow storms are great when your kids are little, but when they are grown, driving, and have babies...not so much.

The doctor ordered a CAT Scan. Well, 3 yucky, awful drinks and 9 freezing cold with no pain medication because I thought I would throw up the 3 yucky drinks hours later I find out that there isn't anything inside that's wrong. That's good!

Tuesday I had horrible migranes. All I wanted to be in was a very quiet, very dark room. I even wore sun glasses because there was such a glare from all of the ice and snow.

Wednesday it dawned on me I hadn't had caffiene because I was drinking so much water to keep from getting dehydrated, so Steve made me hot tea and the headaches went away.

The only thing I can figure out is that my body didn't like the pain medication. So instead of being on narcartics, I started doing 4 ibuprophen every 8 hours. Now I am down to 2 every 4 hours and I'm feeling better. In fact, I feel a whole lot better!

Some of you mentioned that I should allow the pampering. I do. I called my hairdresser today. She washed, dryed, flattened, curled, and smoothed my hair. I have really thick hair, and there's no way that I had the energy to do all of that. Afterwards, Steve and I went out to dinner.

Yesterday I was beginning to wonder when I would ever feel like blogging again. Now I am starting to feel like myself again. My kids will be so happy. They aren't used to seeing me sick. I was 15 when I took care of my Mom when she first had breast cancer and chemo. I wasn't as sick as she was, but I know how they feel. Mom's aren't supposed to be sick!

Thanks again for all the kind comments, thoughts, and prayers.

Oh, by the way...I have a patch now for the menopause part. I have had a couple of hot flashes, but the doctor said that it was probably because my body was so stressed out. I am always cold so when Steve came down stairs and I was in a sleeveless t-shirt and underwear with the fan going (and it's cold outside) he knew something was up (but not what he would be hoping for :)).


  1. I am so pleased you are recovering and feeling like blogging again. I wish you all the best. Marian

  2. Mmm that sounds tough, I certainly hope you are on the upswing!

  3. Oh Amanda !!! You poor thing !!! You really had a rough time..... so sorry to hear that..... and I'm glad to hear you're finally feeling better ..... but I still think you should take it easy and let the gang wait on you a little more :) !!!!!

  4. OMG you sound like you've really been thru alot in the past few days. I hope your feeling better today. How awful!!! Love the t-shirt and underwear part. MEN!!!!

  5. That sounds like quite a trial for you for several days . . . glad to hear that you are beginning to feel more like yourself *s*

  6. Oh, I'm so sorry you've been so sick. But roared to read about your husband "hoping" for something other than a hot flash! Tears are running here


My busy little quilting friends said...


Follow on Bloglovin