2 hours ago
Monday, June 2, 2008
Several years ago I saw this adorable flower pot idea in Mary Englebriet's Home Companion Magazine. It was a picture of this galvanized bucket that someone added legs, painted, and filled with flowers. Immediately I went out to the garage and found a galvanized bucket that had seen better days. I showed Steve the picture in the magazine, and he turned his well used galvanized bucket into something cute!
This, of course, isn't the bucket that we used. This gives you an idea of what the bucket looked like before we beautified it.
I'm not sure what he did first. He most likely drilled holes where he thought the legs (finials) should go. He then took some scrap wood blocks that he had laying around in the garage, and used them as a surface to screw the finials into. I'm sure this helps make the legs a little more sturdier than just screwing them into the bucket itself. It looks like he also drilled some holes for draining so the flowers don't drown when I water them. After this was done, he spray painted the bucket and the legs red.
Like I said, this was several years ago. After many summers of sitting in the sun holding pretty flowers, it needed a makeover today. So I found the red spray paint and gave her a new updated look. I then filled her with dirt and planted some sun loving white vincas since I plan to sit her in a sunny spot in my garden. A cute little flag is the finishing touch!
Steve also built me this birdhouse probably about the same time he made the galvanized flower pot.
Time, rain, and sunshine had taken it's toll on her. I know how she feels! She looks a little rough around the edges. Since I gave the flower pot a makeover, it was time for her to get one, too.
I painted her roof blue, again, and repainted the stars that had faded. I also painted her stripes and spruced up the star on her front door.
Here they are, happily together, sitting on the garden bench that Steve built, looking beautiful again!
Posted by Busy Little Quilter at 9:05 PM