Friday, April 18, 2008

There's A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Around 4:30 this morning I thought my husband was having a bad dream. He was shaking really bad. Then I heard a really loud thump, and I thought he had fallen out of bed. I guess he thought the same thing about me because we were in the dark, slapping at each other trying to see if each other was okay. Our daughter, Julia, met us in the hall way. She is impossible to wake up in the mornings to get ready for school, so we knew then that it must have been an earthquake.

I went downstairs, turned on the TV, and they were just realizing that an earthquake had happened. I didn't see anything unusual. Nothing had fallen, the trees were still standing outside. Everything was good, so I went back to bed.

Later on I went into my living room to get on the computer and this is what I saw:



It looks like a picture fell off, and some things fell off the table.


There's that's better. Everything's back in order. Pictures of grandparents and great grandparents are straightened. The Starbucks Valentine coffee cup and saucer Steve gave me last year for Valentines Day is sitting pretty again beside the Joel Osteen book I still need to read and in front of my beautiful antique "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt.


Another one happened a little while ago. Now all of the pictures are hanging crooked. This is all a little weird and creepy to me. I think I'll go sew and try not to think about it all.

18 comments:

  1. Even tho in New Zealand we get a lot of earthquakes they are still my biggest fear.

    Glad it was just a little shake.

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky nothing was really damaged. I've never felt an earthquake. Darnit! Now I've jinxed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi girls! My friend, Terry, called me. She said that she was asleep with the window open. She woke up about 10 minutes before the earthquake. She was sitting there on the couch, and all of the sudden she heard this really loud roar. She said it sounded like a freight train. She thought it was a tornado, but there was no bad weather. All of the sudden her grandfather clock, which hasn't worked in over a year, started chiming. She and her husband went to the back porch and could hear the rumble going toward the river, which it at my house. She said it lasted about 40 seconds. That would be so weird to "hear" it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems crazy, not for us in CA, but for you guys! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our posts are very much the same. I just heard on the news that the second one that was approx. at 10:15 was a 4.5, I believe. It shook a few things again but didn't last as long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! ME TOO! We live in Decatur Illinois, I woke up and said "we're having an earthquake" and my husband laughed and said no we're not. HAHAH this morning he ran upstairs and said I'm so sorry you were right, we did have an earthquake... hahah when will her learn woman are always right hehehe I am glad to hear nothing was damaged!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both my hubby and I woke at 4:30...wondering why...earthquake felt in Kansas City. FREAKY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here! I'm in northern Cincinnati (180 miles from the earthquake center) and the swaying woke DH and I both up at 5:30 am. I'd experienced an earthquake in CA a long time ago and knew immediately what it was, but it was DH's first and he wouldn't believe me -- until the news came on and said "Earthquake!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same for us in Jefferson City, I felt our bed shaking, and the lamp on my hubby's side was rattling. Then he sid what is that? I said Earthquake.
    The funny thing after we got up, he said I thougth I was dreaming and it was your washer off balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure glad everyone is OK. It can be very scary! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waking to an earthquake can be very unsettling . . . glad you are all okay *s*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in downtown Chicago and slept through it. I am disappointed coz I would love to have experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Wisconsin we also felt it--yikes! On a good note, glad to hear there was only minor damage by you...and BTW--your grandmother's flower garden in your room along with the rest of your decor is so positively BeAuTiFuL!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, there are some crazy earthquakes going on around the south and midwest. I am so glad you are ok and nothing major happened, although it must be nerving to feel it then see your pictures fallen and crooked. I hope everything is going well in Amanda Land. Take care. Love Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just another day for us here in So. Ca. LOL!!!!!! That was nothing you wimp. LOL!!! Now brace yourself for the biggie. Cause nothing will be left on your wall. My son in Indiana said he felt it and wasn't sure if he was back in Ca. or not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Earthquakes in Kentucky! What is this world coming to. Of course, the strongest recorded earthquake in the U.S. ever recorded was in Missouri. We're supposed to have them here in California, not you guys. I'm glad your all well and nothing was damaged. We had a big one in the 1980's that was really bad. I laid down my antique secretary for the longest time just in case we had an aftershock and it would topple over.

    Take Care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your red living room with those pretty green window toppers...very pretty room! I've been in quite a few earthquakes but I've only "heard" a few of them. Glad nothing was damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just stumbled across your blog.

    I love your red living room, and red chairs!!!

    ReplyDelete

My busy little quilting friends said...




Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin