Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Cute Chair

Kim has been doing a lot of thrift store shopping here lately. She asked us if any of us like to go thrifting, so I thought I would share my latest thrift store find.

Any time someone talks about thrifting, I get the "itch" to go. I have been trying to stay away from the thrift shops because I really don't need anything. However, when my daughter said that she would like to have a wicker chair on her front porch I thought that was a great excuse to go to my favorite thrift store!


Look what I found! I was there 5 minutes when I spotted this beauty for $8! I took it to her house, sat it on the porch, and it was the perfect size. Laura and I decided that since her house is gray and her front door and shutters are red, the chair needed to be black. At first I left it at her house for her to paint it, but I went back an hour later and got loaded it in my car, again. She agreed that she didn't have time to paint it. As you can see, Steve had to use the glue gun to do some quick repair work before he started painting it.



Since the chair is going to be black I thought some red geraniums in black pots would be cute, too. I went out to my collection of pots and I found two of these white flower pots that I haven't used in a long time. I don't know why I shot this picture sideways!



Ta Da! Isn't it beautiful? I found this lime green outdoor fabric on sale at JoAnn fabrics so I made her a cushion. The chair looks really cute in front of my picket fence. I'm sure it will look adorable on Laura's front porch, too.

Now all I have to do is make her a wreath for her front door, and she'll have the cutest front porch on the block!

21 comments:

  1. So darling! Aren't you proud of yourself. I love when I get a deal and make something fab out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That DID turn out wonderfully! I'm so glad you blogged about it. And the pots were an excellent idea! Now I'm sort of on the look out to see if I can get rid of that animal print covered chair in my daughter's former room and replace it with something upholstered, small, and simple--something I can make a slip cover (or TWO?!) for. I saw one at Goodwill for $10 but couldn't make up my mind for sure and then I got sick with that cold, so I'm still looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I please borrow you to come and do my front porch?? This looks fantastic and just proves you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a new look. I am very impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all make me want to go thrifting!! Your (her?) chair and pots turned out wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds . . . I spied a little blue wagon as I drove by my favorite junky/antique shop yesterday - better get myself back there and check it up close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amanda... I LOVE the black! Funny, I was looking at my big pots in front of my house JUST this morning and thinking... "I'm going to paint those black". And also thinking about the window boxes I want to put up, and thinking I'm going to paint those black too. Our house is cedar with white trim, and I can see by your photo with the white fence behind it... it's a perfect combo!

    You are my Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How totally cute! I'm always amazed at what a little paint can do! Now you're making me want to go to a thrift shop lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I give you a 10 out of 10 !!!!LOVE what you did with a little black paint , some elbow grease and tons of creativity !!!! VERY PRETTY !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the chair and the pots. Adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda, I love your spirit. Not just your creativity, but the fact that you're on the lookout for your little chicks. You sound just like me. I'm always buying stuff from thrift stores and my kids go "shopping" in my room. You are a great mom! There's no better compliment from me. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda, the chair and flowers look so pretty with the red geraniums. Terrific work, and good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute display! The best part of it is that you spent so little for it all. I love thrifting, too, and in fact have plans to go with my best friend on Monday when everything is 50% off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!It amazing what a little job can do. Love the chair and the cute cushion. The flowers were a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a cute chair and setting . Yes what we don't do for our children.

    I was reading down in your blog and read what you wrote last year about your Mom. Wonderful reading and so meaningful.

    Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect little chair! Finding fun items at thrift stores is one of my passions. Adding the paint and the flowers puts this chair over to top.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a wonderful new chair, I like the black and the cushion is prefect. You did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, my friend, on winning MY fat quarters--could you stop jumping up and down and screaming now?! It feels like we're having another earthquake! ROFLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so industrious! The chair and cushion turned out beautifully. Very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. just fantastic, wonderful ideas, I have an old glory box I need to paint hehe.......can you tell me how much paint you used for the chair.?????

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found your blog today - and was admiring your chair and flowerpot work! (also - you are WAY too young to have grandchildren - you look like a teenager yourself!) I had a question though about your painting the chair. I have some plastic Adirondack chairs that are white, and I would love to paint them so they don't look so dirty. Do you think I would have to scrub them pretty well in order to get the paint to stick? (then I might as well use soft scrub with bleach and leave them white!) I guess I am pretty lazy, and wonder if just spray painting them would work? What do you think??? And next on my agenda will be to read more of your posts!

    Hugs from Diane in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete

My busy little quilting friends said...




Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin